From our table to yoursNovember 10, 2016 by The Seasons | Seasons Newsletter
Hanson Family Apple Pie
It?s apple season and what better way to celebrate the fruits of fall then with a delicious apple pie. The Hanson family has a traditional recipe that we?re delighted to share. Note that it is a tarter apple pie. If you?d like it sweeter, add more sugar.
? 6-7 cups of apples, peeled and thinly sliced (a combination of Macintosh, Northern Spy or Granny Smith)
? Cinnamon (to taste)
? Sugar (to taste)
? Pie crust (top and bottom) for a 9 inch pie plate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Roll out your dough and place in pie plate, with crust hanging over the edge of pie plate.
3. Poke the bottom crust with a fork.
4. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on the bottom (approximately a tablespoon of each, or as much as you want).
5. Place (sliced) apples in a large mound within the crust as the apples will cook down giving you a fl at crust when baked.
6. Sprinkle more cinnamon and sugar over the top of the apples, again to taste.
7. Roll out the rest of the dough and drape over mound of apples. Trim and crimp your dough.
8. Poke the top crust with a fork to allow steam to escape.
9. Put pie in oven for 1 hour. If the crust is browning too much before it is baked, loosely cover with tin foil for remainder of baking time. Pie is done when crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
10. Upon removal from oven, allow to cool slightly and then serve ? you can add vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.